HW4: Flat-Lying Rocks & Grand Canyon
1) What is the difference between ‘landform’ and ‘landscape?’
2) Many different hues of red can be observed in the rocks of the Colorado Plateau. Where does the red color come from, and in which part of the rock would you find it?
What processes causes the red color to form in the rocks?
3) List some of the vegetation one would find on the North rim of the Grand Canyon?
What types of vegetation would one find on the South rim?
Why is the vegetation so different between North and South sides?
4) What does “differential erosion” mean?
5) Tourists often notice the terraced or stair-step appearance of the canyon walls. Four rock layers are responsible for the two canyon-wide steps. They are:________________.
6) In the textbook’s discussion of Grand Canyon Geology, what does transgression and regression mean?
What is a time-transgressive rock unit?
An example of a time-transgressive rock unit in the Grand Canyon would be the ________________.
7) What was the geological “Surprise” in the Grand Canyon?
Does it have a name?
What type of environment did this “surprise” formed in?
Are there fossil(s) associated with the “surprise;” if so, what type(s)?
8) During Middle to Late Cenozoic time, the Colorado Plateau became increasingly arid. What geologic event caused the climate of the Colorado Plateau to change?
This type of climatic change in an area is referred to as a _____
Comments are closed.