“Mental Skills Training Techniques (Methods)”
(Due Sunday by 12 midnight EST at the end of week 15 – December 11th, 2016)
This month you are to write a minimum 1000 word research paper on Mental Skills Training. Please use proper APA format and cite at least four (4) sources. I have guidelines on using the APA format and citing sources posted in the Week 15 Tab for you. Please submit your research paper using the link above. Follow the directions below for a step-by-step process.
Assignment Requirements (Use as a checklist):
· Choose one Mental Skills Training Technique (Goal Setting, Imagery & Visualization, Self-Talk, Breathing & Relaxation, Mental Toughness, Hypnosis, Attentional Focus) and research and discuss the following aspects of the MST: (1) Concept and Application, (2) Foundation in sport psychology, (3) Impact on athlete and Performance Enhancement, (4) “How To Do” section.
· Use a 12 pt Times New Roman Font
· Double-space paper
· Minimum of 1,000 words. No more than 1,500 words
· Minimum of four (4) cited sources. You must cite your textbook and at least 1 peer reviewed journal article. The other sources can be your choice (book, web article, online video, etc).
· Use APA format and parenthetical citations right after cited material
· Make sure your name is on your paper
· Paper should contain an introduction, a body, and a conclusion
There will be a 20 pt. penalty for writing less than 1000 words on this assignment.
Suggested Outline APA Format Title Page Title of Paper and Your Name centered on Page Introduction – 1st paragraph
State thesis: purpose of paper. This is the last sentence of your introduction. (Ex: Since mental skills are an important aspect of any athlete’s repertoire, it is very important to understand the theories at work within such skills and how to develop mental skills). Body – 2nd thru 6th or 8th paragraphs ( as needed) Conclusion – Last paragraph
A. Restate your thesis or the purpose of your paper
B. Write about why this is important
C. Remember to make the conclusion similar in length to the other paragraphs.
Many students write a one or two sentence conclusion. Do not do that. APA References Page
Correct definition of Concepts
Statement of main points and thesis in introduction
Properly indented paragraphs
Content in introduction
Content in body
Content in conclusion
Balance – paragraphs similar in length – about 150 words
Mechanics – followed APA format
There will be a 10pt. penalty for each day the assignment is late. It is due Sunday, by midnight, of week 15. There will be a 100 pt. penalty for plagiarizing. This means a 0. If in doubt, cite, cite, cite.
Last, but not least, if you have any questions, please ask.